Friday, November 09, 2007

beware the careless whisper

The hippies really are in for a torrid time on this site. They really
had it coming to be honest.

My mexican flatmate tells me he's gonna be away for a week to ten
days. That normally means he has an epic surfari, transkei drugrun or
housesitting on his menu. This time it's a little different. He's
going on a 'retreat'. It's what guys like Billy from Green Day have to
do when they can't take rehab anymore and need to find inspiration
elsewhere. I think Hunter S. was on a permanent one. I know I'm going
to be subjected to endless stories in future about this pending week,
I fear it is going to be Pedro's "Band Camp". The real irony is that
it sounds like he's not going to be doing much.

It's on a farm somewhere near the gamadoelas, and every day is started
at 4.30am for coffee and biscuits. They then sit around till the main
meal of the day, round noon. In the afternoon they each have a half
hour one-on-one session with the main guru. Then it's off to bed after
sunset. The rules are quite simple, no talking or gesturing between
each other - ever. No phones or any other contact with outside world
allowed.

Of course once I was finished laughing (took a while) I had to ask if
I could slate him about it. His reply didn't really matter, as it's
pretty much fair game. We figured that the only legal form of self
expression left is farting, which is actually not too dissimiliar to
the crap he normally talks about.

The big wtf amongst many is that the week is free/gratis/mahala.
There's no such thing as a free lunch, even if it is lentils and boot
leather. Does anyone out there know how to check that you still have
both kidneys?

We'll have to keep an update on this one, I do hope he keeps his mouth
shut and makes the full week. That's mostly because I sublet his room
out to the Swedish bikini team on their pre season training camp.

No comments: