Wednesday, January 23, 2008

When billboards go left field

Every now and then I am forced from the cosy confines of the southern suburbs, and we have to deal with the riff raff from the rest of cape town. Luckily the M5's Koeberg interchange is not negotiated more than once a month. Put me in that twice a day and there'd be queue jumpers getting shot.

Anyway, so I noticed one of the huge billboards there before Christmas:
“TYGERLITSHA”

and that's it, nothing else. Odd how someone would pay for so much and overlook the fact that it doesn't make any sense.

The other day I swing by and they have taken it down (yay), and replaced it with:
“MANNENSTANTIA”
(aah).

After a bit of carefree investigation, I got to the bottom of it. It's run by the hacks at Goodhope FM, apparently their logo is actually on the billboard. The whole campaign is that they bring Cape Town together. Okee, if you must insist, but don't come crying when you win the most obtuse Loerie award. A hopskip to their site and you can even download their new Cape Town wallpaper.


I don't know who did the shortlist, but I would have had the Muizenberg bathing houses in, and the Tampon Towers out.

No comments: