Wednesday, February 21, 2007

MR. MBEKI, we appear to have a crime problem







What you can see is the gap formerly occupied by my postbox! Despite not being an expert in scrap metal rates, I think the kid who pilfered it in broad daylight can expect R5-R15 for the ~500g of severely corroded brass it was. Current designs for a replacement are being looked at, with the front runner being a stainless (I love the sea air) steel cover wired up to a 150kV cattle prod.

I've been relistening to David Rattray's brilliant “Day of the Dead Moon”. What a story, what an incredible story teller. I had the honour of staying at his lodge a few years back, and going out to the sites of the Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift battles. I'll try convert the tapes to digital format, and am looking to get hold of Zulu(1964) which is an epic on Rorke's Drift with Michael Caine in the lead. If there ever was a candidate for most “Proudly South African” he was it. I don't remember ever doing the Anglo-Zulu war in school history, so if it tickles your interest, the start by reading more here:

Isandlwana
Rorke's Drift
Rattray




Kirstenbos was baie cool die ander dag. Ons het lekker gemosh en gecrowdsurf. Francois het gese dit was 'n chilled out set vir hulle, maar ek dink dit het huge gerock. Hulle het mielies oppie volume gegooi.



You heard it here first, the Peninsula half is going to be huge. Joined a 1000 other runners in the spectacular route from Bergvliet to Simonstown. I was still on the sub 90 pace till the hour mark, but the realisation that my legs wouldn't make it was only delayed by a nubile hottie in uct colours that I followed to Glencairn. I had to coast home at a much reduced pace, and Jordan even overtook me just past the trainstation in Simonstown. Final result 93 minutes, which is still a pb. Great breakfast at The Meeting Place, fun ride home on the train. Next stop 2 oceans half

No comments: